Friday, March 31, 2006

 

The Fifth Day

Day: 5
Mood: I'm so incredibly happy today, that the diet is just getting slurped up in the happiness!
Weight: 24-1/2 lbs.

First off, I would like to welcome my friend Katharine to Lovely Diets. All the books, websites, experts, etc. say that dieting is easier with a friend.

Okay, so I didn't lose any weight yesterday. And I know why. I was ravenous last night. There was no reason for it...I just wanted to eat EVERYTHING. So, even after having a nice and tasty dinner, I still felt the need to eat a lot of snacks (almonds and a bowl of mushroom soup). Afterall, I'm not about to let myself go hungry.

I'm in for a very challenging weekend. Tonight, I am having a lite dinner at my parents' house...this generally consists of cheese and fruit, neither of which I should be having right now. Then this weekend, I am away on business. I'll be in convention centers all day on both Saturday and Sunday, and that means greasy, fried foods. So, I've packed an entire bag of food to take on this trip. I want to stay strong.

I did a lot of prep work so I could take food with me. This meant over an hour in my kitchen, chopping and mixing things. A healthy diet takes a long time...but I'm starting to think that it probably should. With all the time I spend thinking about food and eating food, it makes sense that I should take some time actually making the food.

I'll also be away from the scale until Sunday night or Monday morning. Unlike Katharine, whose nondependence on the scale I admire, I am an obsessive weigher. Unless I'm in a hurry, I weight myself just about every time I go into my bathroom (though I take on 'official' number per day). Most diets suggest only weighing yourself once a week, so you don't obsess over it. That's good advice, but the only way I'm following it is if someone keeps my scale locked up for the rest of the week.

Today's Tantalizing Tidbits:

Breakfast: 1 cup of Kashi GoLean cereal with 1 cup of Skim Milk.

My friend Kashi will also be traveling on business with me this weekend.

Lunch: Red Peppers, Tomatoes, Black Beans over Spinach.

I sort of made yesterday's omelette into a salad but without the garlic (because I have to stop eating so much garlic or no one will ever kiss me again!). It was delicious. I also added some mint into my iced tea which was tasty and refreshing in this beautiful weather we're having.

Dinner: TBA

I asked my Dad to pick up some things to go with the usual fare of cheese and grapes and wine, so tonight I'll probably be having: red peppers (I can't get enough of them!), a slice of whole grain bread with olive oil, a slice of parmesan cheese...and some other veggies and protein.

This Weekend:
- I brought cereal for breakfast.
- I brought Almonds and Red Peppers for snack.
- I made up two servings of Chicken Tabloueth (I know this is not the right word, I made it up) from the Book for lunch.
- Dinner will be out, and on my boss, so I'll probably have a salad and some meat. Hopefully this will keep me on the right track!

Good Things About Day Five:
- Red Peppers
- Sunshine
- Planning Ahead
- Enjoying all the chopping and mincing that went on in my kitchen this morning.

Bad Things About Day Five:
- I didn't like my ravenous need for food last night. But that was last night. I have only good things to say about today!


Quote:
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
~ J.R.R. Tolkein

Comments:
Err, I think that we are the statistics behind dieting. Not to be catty, but have you read the rest of our blog?
The Lovely Dieters each bring 20+ years of living (and eating) in our bodies. We both had our successes and failures and have reached a point where we are a ready to make a deliberate and healthy change in our daily nutrition.
However, we are also part of a culture that stresses the conveiniance of processed foods and brand name products. Learning to eat healthily means, for many people, re-programming our minds and bodies to use and enjoy healthy food.
The Sonoma Diet is sure to have its drawbacks, and we will chronicle them alongside our successes. More importantly, we will support each other and anyone else struggling to "just exercise and eat healthy food." While I value your suggestion, I must say that sometimes road maps get out dated (and there has been plenty of debateas to where the food pyramid comes from and which pyramid -- governemnt, Harvard, etc -- should be given precedence). The Sonoma Diet is one of the most well rounded and complete "maps" I've seen recently, and I appreciate (as I've previously written) that it doesn't ask me to "starve myself, or [eat] ver little of unhealthy foods." It does encourage me to think about what I'm eating and make deliberate decisions.
I want my life to be long and healthy -- and I'm using this forum to share my experiences getting there.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?