Thursday, March 30, 2006

 

Why Sonoma?

Day: Day before day 1
Mood: Somewhat skeptical, but excited none the less
Weight: See below

Some background:
A college friend/roommate of that mckim girl, I am not a fad dieter. Rather, I don't really like the concept of the "diet." It implies an immediate and temporary fix and, if there is anything I do know about weight/body image it's that changes have to have staying power.

Do I have weight to lose? Yes. Am I going to tell you how much? No. Why not? Because I don't weigh myself. The scale and I have never gotten along because we've never agreed. If I feel like I've lost a few pounds, it'll say the opposite. When I feel like my body is attacking me, it will tell me I'm down 10lbs. We're never on the same page. So I've adapted by going off of how I feel/look. Rather than concentrate on a number, I look at clothing sizes, how my clothes fit, how much energy I have, distances I can run/walk/travel. So I'll let you know when I'm down a pant size... or when my shirts are too big.. or when I add another mile to my morning routine.

Speaking of, over the past 3.5 months I've become someone who goes to the gym 4-5 mornings a week. I never thought that'd be me. I've had memberships to two different gyms over the past 4 years, and access to the College's gym. I just didn't go. My monthly fee was a bit like paying a "fat tax." Something I could point to when I started beating myself up over not working out or gaining weight. Like saying, "Hey, at least I have some level of commitment, so it's okay if I want an extra cookie. I'll just start going to the gym tomorrow," but knowing full well that I wouldn't go, and that the "extra" cookie would continue to tempt me at the next meal. Then, this past December, a friend and I made a committment to one another that we would go 3 days a week. She picked me up at 7am and then we would do 25 minutes of cardio and a bit of strength training. Now I drive myself at 6:45am to get in a few more minutes before work. And I miss it when I don't go. And sometimes, if there's a dance class at night, I end up going twice in one day. And I do push-ups when I'm stressed. CRAZY!

So now, having seen the difference exercise has made in my physique/energy level/life I am ready to take the next step. And that's to make another committment- this time to myself. It's time to figure out a nutrition plan that works. Rather than a restrictive diet, I wanted to find something that could last a lifetime... or at least for the remainder of my 20's (I'm well aware that my body chemistry will change over time and that adjustments will need to be made, but I figure developing good eating habits will help in the long run). A plan that would let me continue to work on my cooking techniques, help me find one or two signature dishes, and introduce me to new flavors while still focusing on keeping me healthy. I believe that I've found that with the Sonoma Diet.

Why I chose the Sonoma Diet:
- "After the first ten days, this diet encourages wine and allows the occasional chocolate. These are my staples of existence." And COFFEE!!!
- "The Sonoma Diet encourages a balanced diet, with all the food groups: a.k.a. thinking healthy about food." Yup
- Last fall I decided that, given the oppurtunity/budget, I would like to eat "within my food shed." I want to make an effort to eat whole foods that are grown/produced within 100 sq. miles of where I live. I haven't been successful, but the Sonoma Diet's emphasis on non-processed, fresh foods seems like a step in the right direction.
- I am a bit of a foodie-- and the Sonoma Diet doesn't ask me to start eating cardboard/rice cakes/prepackaged foods.
- I am suspicious that margerine & non-calorie sweeteners may be worse for us than the originals they've replaced. The Sonoma Diet agrees.
- I don't like the concept of dieting-- in this culture it's pretty much set up to fail. I'd rather concentrate on learning when, what and how much to eat. The Sonoma Diet agrees.
- I work in higher education and generally eat in a cafeteria. It seems that the Sonoma Diet is amenable to this set up.

My sketicism:
- The Sonoma Diet book endorses specific brand name foods. While I appreciate the effort on the part of the author to make my shopping trips a bit easier, I fear companies may have bought their way into the publication. I'm very tired of being worked over by corporate marketing stratagies.
- I drink skim milk (non-fat milk) at most meals. This is because I read a nutrition magazine while child-sitting one afternoon which stated that a general rule for drinking liquids was the following: water when you're thirsty, milk at meals, non-caloric drinks at other times. This seemed rather simple, and my nails have never been nicer. The Sonoma Diet only allows you one cup of milk at breakfast in the first 10 days because you are weaning yourself off of sugar. I'm not sure this is the best idea ever (not giving up sugar, but giving up the milk).
- I work in higher education and generally eat in a cafeteria. To be successful, I will have to start bringing my own whole grains to GLAR (our dining hall).

Purpose of this blog:
To bring support and humor to other would-be-dieters/life-style changers. To record my experiences and hold myself accountable (particularly during "Wave 1). To improve my general health/well-being.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?